Monday, December 14, 2015

Review: I've Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm

I'VE GOT MY DUKE TO KEEP ME WARM
The Lords of Worth #1
Kelly Bowen
Historical Romance
323 pages
Hachette
Available Now
Source: Bought
(Thanks for the recommendation Amanda & Felicia!)

THE STORY (from Goodreads)
Where Secrets Smolder...

Calm. Cool. Collected. Gisele Whitby has perfected the art of illusion—her survival, after all, has depended upon it. Years ago, to escape an abusive husband, Gisele "disappeared." Now she must risk revealing her new identity to save another innocent girl from the same fate. But she needs a daring man for her scheme, and the rogue in question shows a remarkable talent . . . for shattering Gisele's carefully constructed façade and igniting her deepest desires.

...Passion Ignites.

This isn't the first time Jamie Montcrief has awakened naked and confused from a night of drinking. It is, however, the first time a stunningly beautiful woman offers him payment afterward. Gisele has a business proposition for him, a mission involving cunning thievery and a brazen rescue. How can he say no to a plot this dangerous . . . and a woman this delectable?


MY THOUGHTS
I’ve Got My Duke To Keep Me Warm has a deceptively light title and cover, a sweet, carefree young woman twirling in the snow a far cry from the horrors heroine Gisele was forced to endure at the hands of her husband. Though the packaging doesn’t quite fit the tone of this tale, the story itself is outstanding, giving us a woman brave beyond measure who’s determined to give other women the freedom the rules of society at this time deny them.

For much of this story we can only guess what physical, emotional and sexual abuse Gisele suffered thanks to her husband's sadistic streak before she faked her own death and made her escape, but we don’t need all the gory details to find ourselves in awe of her strength from the first page. When she learns he’s to marry again (years later) her first thought is of the poor woman to be passed from father to husband as property, and instead of allowing her memories and past trauma to rule her, she strides boldly forward to save his new bride just as she was able to save herself.

Despite all that’s happened to her, she surprisingly doesn’t have a crippling fear of physical intimacy, allowing her romance with new partner in life-saving crime Jamie to proceed perhaps more quickly than we initially might have thought. That’s in no way a complaint however, instead it’s refreshing to see Gisele try to rebuild that part of her life and reclaim ownership of her body and her desire, thus cutting the final threads that tie her to her husband.

The plan Gisele, Jamie, and a stellar group of secondary characters hatch to keep the wedding from moving forward as planned is a darkly brilliant one, and watching as Gisele ever-so kindly provides her husband the rope with which to hang himself is nothing short of immensely satisfying. Overall, I’ve Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm is a page-turner of a romance, the desire to see Gisele and Jamie together equal to the desire to see Gisele’s husband get what’s coming to him, driving us to read as fast as possible to get to our much needed happily ever after.

Rating: 4.5/5
 

Find Kelly:

 
*I've Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm is currently only $.99 on Amazon! Win.

27 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'm kinda more interested in this one now that I know that the insides are not as light and fluffy only as the title and cover could indicate!
    Great review Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good Pili!!!! I can't recommend it enough:)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Pili, I actually thought it could be your typical fluffy Christ as sort of book with the cover, and I shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I have to say I love the sound Gisele, and her brave and strong persona, we live those in any book. Great review Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gisele is amazing Emma, I just wanted to reach in and hug her the entire time.

      Delete
  3. Oh it's not a topic we usually have in historical romances so it's quite interesting to have something like that. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Her husband is positively monstrous and I was counting the pages until he got back what he dished out tenfold.

      Delete
  4. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, Jenny! Does this mean you're onto the next one now? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet, but I will be. Definitely a fan of Kelly now!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow! I did not think that this would handle domestic violence by looking at that cover too, Jenny. The book, though, sounds phenomenal. I'm going to have to emotionally prepare myself of course, but I think I will love how strong Gisele is as will I love her romance with Jamie. I'm going to snag myself a copy.
    Wonderful review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? The cover is misleading for sure. This is not a fluff little holiday read. It's not overly dark either though, Gisele has such a great outlook on life despite what she's been through. No self-pity for her:)

      Plus, $.99. Can't beat that!

      Delete
  6. A revenge book, now I wouldn't have guessed that from the title and the cover. Sounds like an entertaining read for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the best kind of revenge book Heidi. The kind where the person truly deserves what's coming, and I did feel weird about what Gisele and Jamie did to make sure he paid. I loved how they went about everything:)

      Delete
  7. This definitely sounds different than it looks, but it sounds great. I like the sound of a women who saves herself and is willing to risk much to save others. It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. It certainly is, but the story definitely is not. It's got a dark edge to it which I really loved:)

      Delete
  9. Funny how the cover doesn't match the content at all but either way, so glad this was such an amazing read for you Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly enjoyed it Ali, and now I can't wait to dive in to book 2:)

      Delete
  10. Oh this one sounds like it would be for me. I'm actually glad it isn't all lightness and sweet. I love it when a woman is brave and finds herself in a story. Brilly review.

    Also ((HUGS))!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd really enjoy this one Melissa. It's definitely one I'll read again and again.

      Delete
  11. I'm not usually much for these types of stories, but I may have to check this one out! Great review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a try Amanda! It might not be your typical fare, but I think you'd like it:)

      Delete
  12. Amanda said you loved this one too, so as soon as I heard that and read her review I went straight to Amazon. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never would have guessed based on the cover, but this does sound like quite the story, different too..adding to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read my first Bowen this year and I adore her writing. I can't wait to read more.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  15. They cover would have led me to believe a snowy romance and light-heartedness as well. Sounds very well done though, and I like that the heroine took charge and didn't let those circumstances take her down :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete