Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Teaser Tuesday: This Side of the Grave


Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading and here's how it works:

Grab your current read
Open to a random page
Share a snippet from somewhere on that page but be careful not to include spoilers

Today I have a very special teaser for you from This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost. I'm including a longer-than-normal excerpt because today is my birthday and this series just makes me happy. And what better way to celebrate your birthday than with a little Jeaniene Frost humor? I hope this passage brings a smile to your faces!

Without thought, my gaze flew to the areas in question before skipping away once I realized what I was doing. Then my cheeks actually tingled with mortification as Vlad let out a long, hearty laugh. Mencheres, more courteous, pretended to suddenly find something fascinating in the door frame, but I saw his lips twitch.

"My dear Reaper," Vlad said, still laughing. "Did you just check out our–"


"No!" I interrupted at once, almost lunging toward the staircase. "I'm tired and still dazed from the Remnants and...f*ck it, I'm taking a shower. I mean, not a cold shower, because I don't need that"–oh Jesus, I was only making this worse–"because I
am cold already, and I need to get hot. I mean, warmer. Oh, just shut up!"

This as Vlad continued to laugh the whole time I went up the stairs.



THIS SIDE OF THE GRAVE (from Goodreads)

Danger waits on both sides of the grave.

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they've triumphed over the latest battle, Cat's new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance . . .

With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing. A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous "ally"—the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war . . . to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.

29 comments:

  1. Great teaser, I so need to read this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I can't remember a Vlad moment that I didn't LOVE!

    Especially right before this scene when he had the great idea to test out Cat's new skills.

    Kind of busy at the moment!

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha, great teaser! I really need to read this series, it sounds hilarious.

    Here's my teaser: http://crackaspinebookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/03/teaser-tuesday-3-hush-hush.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, I love that teaser. I am even more excited to read this. Hope you are enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read the first two books of the series (in French) but I think I'm going to buy the complete series (well the five books) in English soon ... BONES <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems as if Vlad has the Reaper quite flustered. Like to see how that relationship develops. Happy Birthday! Hope you have a fantastic day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HA! Awesome teaser. I am not familiar with this book- I will have to check it out. I hope you have a fantastic birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT minds think alike! I have a teaser from the same book!!

    Love this one btw, don't think I've read that part yet!

    Old Follower
    Here's my teaser

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haven't read this series but based on the above I need to start soon.
    Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course it is so like you to tease me with a book I do not have. But ALAS! I haz the book now in my hands! Your teaser will not do me harm. LOL :) I can't wait to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LMAO! I love Cat! Great teaser and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday!!!!!
    This one sounds like a fun book. I love vampires. And I like books that incorporate other paranormal creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenny - I love this series!

    Missie - Vlad was cracking me up in this book, as did Ian with his all too brief appearance- "Am I the only one that has wood over that little vixen?"

    Rachel - It's one of my favorites:)

    Nic - I really enjoyed it, I finished it last night:)

    Elodie - BONES! I find it's necessary to always type his name using all caps:)

    Jan - He certainly does, the whole thing was hilarious:) And thank you!

    Christina - It's book 5 in the Night Huntress series, such good books! And thanks for the birthday wishes:)

    Jessica - There are so many great teasers from this one, I had a hard time narrowing it down:)

    Kristina - Thank you! I hope you do start them soon:)

    Savy - So glad you have Bones in your possession now:)

    Kelsey - Thank you!

    Alison - Thanks so much! This is a fun PNR series, I know your not a huge romance book fan, but Bones is pretty delectable:)

    Juju - Love Vlad:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heard a lot about this series and I love the covers of her books. :) I should really try the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. happppppppyyy birthday, Jenny! I need to read this book like yesterday! Jeanine is genius, and so is her writing, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was MY favorite passage/Vlad moment of the whole book! I had tears streaming down my face I was laughing so hard!

    Happy Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nina - It's a fabulous series, one of my favorites:)

    Melissa - Thank you! This one had me cracking up, her secondary characters are amazing:)

    Felicia - Mine too! I love Vlad and Mencheres:) I can't wait for Vlad's book!

    ReplyDelete
  18. BAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!!! You just so posted one of my favorite scenes!!!! Ohhh, I almost dies on that one ;)

    Happy Berfday, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday to you!

    Oh... I need this... SO BAD. I need to find time to read this SO MUCH! Me need. *babbles*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday Dear Jenny! Happy Birthday to you!

    I got a sample of the first book of this series on my Kindle. I definitely want to try it out! Love the character names.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL Awesome teaser!!!

    Cant wait for your review! =D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great quote, but how could you choose just one? :) I like the one about "premature inflammation".

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday!!
    I need to read the series. I've heard so much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it. I like Vlad. This is one of my favorite series.

    ReplyDelete
  25. loving this book! 65% through and the showdown is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  26. aww I love your book boyfriend. He looks so clean and sweet, not what I would picture a vampire, this vampire must be sweet on the outside before he shows the fangs right... :P

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ahhhhhhhh! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jenny Happy Birthday a day late, hope it was a good one...

    I could not put the book down and when got to this part laughed so much because not only was it harmless fun but wonderful played out by the characters... Jeaniene Frost wins again, good story with lots of tidbits from all the characters to keep us interested and CHAPTER 21 was just about the most interesting chapter I have ever read while squirming in my chair from the ick factor that was also in context of the series HOT!

    ReplyDelete