Monday, March 28, 2011

Review: Red Riding Hood

RED RIDING HOOD
Sarah Blakley-Cartwright
Paranormal Young Adult
329 Pages
Poppy/Little, Brown
Available Now
Received from publisher for review

THE STORY
Violet has always been the quieter sister, the one who keeps to herself and stays comfortably in the shadow of dynamic, older Lucie. She lives in a quiet town, but once a month a selected family has to make a sacrifice to the Wolf so that they may live the remainder of the month in peace.

Violet's quiet, albeit unusual, world is changed entirely with the return of her childhood friend Peter and the gruesome death of her sister. While the town is in an uproar over the death of one of its own, Violet finds herself increasingly attracted to Peter despite both his pauper status and her parents' announcement she is to be engaged to the blacksmith's wealthy son Henry.

When the Wolf continues attacking during the blood moon, the town entreats help of a professional werewolf slayer who informs them the werewolf is surely someone living in the village– someone among them. Violet finds herself in the midst of the chaos when the townspeople learn the Wolf can speak directly to her, her feelings for both Peter and Henry intensifying just as she is offered up as a sacrifice to end the bloodshed.

MY THOUGHTS
Red Riding Hood is yet another retelling of a classic story, one with a lot of intensity and violence that makes for a quick read, but it's one whose reimagining isn't quite as strong as its predecessors. With certain books, the characters are so vivid and vibrant it seems as though when we touch the pages our fingers may come in contact with cloth or skin, the individuals about whom we're reading so real there ceases to be a line dividing our world from theirs, and our lives blend together for the duration of the tale. With this story however, our skin brushes merely paper pages, our emotions skittering across the black ink without ever truly seeping in to create that valued bond, and so this book remains simply an inanimate object to us rather than an anthropomorphic entity promising us a journey we can't wait to undertake again and again.

Valerie is a difficult character to understand at times, the reasons for her preferred solitary existence never truly explained to us other than it's simply the way she is, but this small omission is highlighted by her sudden transformation into a social butterfly with the return of Peter and the sudden interest of Henry. As is so common with young adult romance lately, she finds herself instantly in love with the boy she once knew–so much so she's prepared to run away with him hours after his return and despite his ten year long absence. While instant attraction is certainly believable sometimes, even more so with an old childhood friend, the speed with which she's prepared to uproot herself and leave behind her family is highly questionable and a bit off-putting. While we certainly can see Peter's appeal, their interactions pulse with none of the tension forbidden love usually creates, and we feel only fleeting tingles now and then before they fade and we are left alone even though Valerie and Peter are still with us on the page.

There is certainly enough action and mystery in this story to offset an inexplicable romance, but the lack of concrete answers to any of our questions serves to solidify our somewhat indifferent reaction to the book in general. We close the back cover wondering if we actually care enough to look up the real ending or "bonus chapter"–something that isn't printed in the book itself but can only be found online (and wasn't available until the film's release date). With any mystery, there are going to be questions raised along the way, but with Red Riding Hood our curiosity is a heavy burden to bear, the weight of our questions constant and crushing as the gift of knowledge is never offered to lighten our load. Valerie's sister is slain and found with an unreadable note in her hand, but never do we learn what it might have said or who could have written it. The girls' grandmother clearly knows more about the Wolf than she lets on, but yet never does she reveal her thoughts on the matter. And while we have a suspect for the Wolf, we are denied the certainty of our suspicions, left with an ending where our minds are blank save for the presence of a single question mark–a symbol that adequately sums up our entire reaction to this book.

Red Riding Hood is an entertaining read despite its flaws, though it will perhaps be more successful as a film where our visual senses will no doubt be delighted and may allow us to forget some of the elements that so frustrate us in this written form.

Rating: 2/5

40 comments:

  1. I had no idea about the end until you told me! I am so frustrated about that. It's no wonder why I had a hard time with the ending of this book. Nice review! And I agree, bad marketing!! Very bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read quite a few low rated reviews for this. I am definitely sticking to just watching the movie. Great honest review Jenny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review... No I'm wondering if I shoudl read it or just watch the movie...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well all the reviews I've read so far were not exciting so I will skip in that one. Very convincing Review Jenny:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was very disappointed with this too. I think that writing a book based on a screen play is one reason this just didn't work well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! I"ve been thinking about reading this for a while now and people have told me not to. Thank you! I now know to just stick with the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good review, but a bit disapointed. I had been very interested in the book, but your problems with the story are ones that would drive me nuts. The "ending" chapter not being available until the movie comes out would be a big negative for me.

    And seriously, what's up with love triangles? Do we really need them in what feels like every single story?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fairy-tale retellings, but I have not been seeing many good reviews for this one. The lack of the ending chapter is a big flaw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh-oh a 2? :( Yeah I have not heard many good things about this novel so I think Im going to pass on it...BUT I still want to the movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Savy - I agree. I'm all for clever marketing ploys to promote a book, but I didn't like that an actual chapter was withheld to correspond with the film.

    Nic - I'm really excited to see the movie, I'm hoping all the beautiful cinematography makes up for some of the issues I had with the book:)

    Niecole - I'd probably go with the movie. I liked the action and suspense of this one, I just didn't really relate to the characters enough.

    Danny - Thanks! There were some definite positives to this one, but unfortunately for me, the negatives where more prominent.

    Jan - I agree, I really wanted to like this one because I love this fairy tale, but it was lacking a bit in some areas for me.

    MA Chase - I have high hopes for the movie:)

    Jennifer - Yes, that was my main issue. I don't mind if a story is left semi-incomplete or open-ended as so many books are with cliffhangers and such, but at least I know another book is coming. This book just ended without a last chapter and I was told to go online and look it up which I found irritating.

    Misha - Yes it is:) It was a quick read, but not something I would want to pick up again.

    Tina - Yeah, I don't give many 2's but there were just too many small things that added up and then the one big thing with the missing last chapter that made this book not for me:) And I still definitely want to see the movie too:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the honest review. Many of my students were disappointed with this book as well and your review confirms some of their feelings. Hmm...I wonder if I should see the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  12. This isn't one for me. I'm generally not a fan of fairytale retellings, and I've read a lot of not so great reviews of this one.

    They left out the final chapter to correspond with the movie release?! Bad idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one is not on my list for several reasons but the ending is a big one. I do believe the movie is probably visually stunning but I think even that would probably only make up for some of the issues with the story :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a shame - such a great basis, and it sounds like this one really lets the reader down. I don't mind ambiguous endings, but I do mind when so many loose ends aren't tied up. Thanks so much for the honest review, Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great honest review, I don't think I'll be reading this one especially since there's no real true ending on the book. I watched the movie and it wasn't that great either. =/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I heard about that lack of the last chapter. I probably won't read this, but I may still go see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Christina - I'm still going to see the movie, I'm hoping this will be one of those rare cases when it's better than the book:) Though since this book is based on the movie and not the other way around, I think that will probably be the case!

    Leanna - I am too and that's why I had high hopes for this one, but I was a little disappointed, especially with the missing chapter.

    Felicia - I was shocked at the end, especially since the movie wasn't out yet and I couldn't even look it up online!

    Linds - I don't mind ambiguous endings either, but there were way too many questions left without the prospect of another book to continue the story.

    Cynthia - Shoot! I was hoping the movie was better:)

    Midnyte - I'm still going as well even though Cynthia just said it wasn't great, I always seem to be more forgiving of movies than books, I'm not sure why! *slaps own wrist*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gah! You read this? Yeah, that bonus chapter thing doesn't sit well with me. I'm not a fan of ploys. Glad you found it entertaining Jenny, but I know all the lingering questions would drive me nuts. I'm gonna have to say that this is one in which reading your review is enough to satisfy me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked the movie, but just liked it, it wasn't great and it wasn't terrible. I tried to read the book and I just couldn't get into it... Great review Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've heard a lot of complaints about the bonus chapter ending. It looks like that was a bit of a marketing fail on the publisher's part, because I think it annoys people more than anything!

    Haven't decided whether or not I'll be trying this one. Maybe if the library has it?

    Thanks for the review, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've seen mixed reviews on this one and will probably watch the movie and not read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have mixed opinions about watching the movie. After hearing my friend, Jules, vent her frustrations with the book I decided to pass it up. Now that I read your honest and detailed review, I can say that I'm not worried about skipping this one. I do hope you enjoy the movie, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A 2...I don't know about this one, then I will rather just watch the movie and save time

    ReplyDelete
  24. Missie - I did. And I'm not a fan of ploys like this either:) Clever marketing? Sure. But I think robbing readers of an ending is unfair. I'm wondering what they'll do in the future...leave the website up? Reprint the book with the chapter in place?

    Avery - I've heard nothing about the movie since it's release so I figured it didn't go over huge, but I know I'll go see it anyway:)

    Natalie - It was most certainly annoying. I actually still haven't looked up the bonus chapter, I just lost interest since I had to wait until the movie came out and by then I'd moved on to other books.

    Jenny - Since I posted this review I'm hearing the movie isn't great either which is a bit disappointing, but I'm still hoping to see it in the theater regardless:)

    Rummanah - If you absolutely love fairy tales, it might be worth a read if you get it from the library or borrow it from someone:)

    Blodeuedd - Yeah a 2, I wasn't overly impressed unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed this one more than you did. I liked that they gave Red a different attitude and she didn't shy away from her differences. So different than the fairy-tale. However, I also didn't like the ploy and what I heard about the film, I don't think I'll be reading that last chapter. I mean do you really need that last chapter. If you take the ploy out of it and just take the book as it was, I actually liked it. If I considered the ploy then yea... I'd be right with you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Melissa - Absolutely agree. If they had left that whole "is this the end of the story" line out and let us just keep wondering who she was kissing, I wouldn't have been quite as frustrated though some of the other elements would have still bothered me:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've actually heard a lot of similar reviews for this, Jenny. I heard the movie is a lot of fun, but I don't think I'd want to read the book if it feels unfinished or flat, you know? Fab honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Insta-love = NO GOOD. I haven't heard many positive reviews of the book or the movie so I may just pass on both. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Bleh, sounds like a definite must miss. The ending thing is incredibly annoying, too!! I will probably check out the movie, even though I heard it wasn't that great either, because like you said, at least you have cinematography, and probably more of a sense of action, etc while watching the movie. Glad I decided to skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I wonder if part of the problem with this is that it's a movie to book adaptation rather than the other way around.

    I'm very curious about the movie. I really like Catherine Hardwicke's work. I've seen 3 of her movies. I actually think her first was the best movie - Thirteen - which she and Nikki Reed co-write (Nikki plays Rosalie in Twilight and she was 13 when she co-wrote the screenplay). I am a fan of her version of Twilight. It certainly wasn't without problems, but I loved that she took it seriously. With a director who cared less about it, it could have been truly awful. You could tell that everyone - cast and crew - tried really hard and did the best they could with a low budget and inexperienced actors.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Melissa - I've gotten used to books feeling a little bit unfinished since pretty much every book I read is part of a series, but at least then I know there will be more coming and my questions might get answered. Here, I know there's no second book so the lack of answers/ending was a bit more frustrating for me:)

    Tara - Agreed. Instant attraction? Sure. Instant I-will-run-away-with-you-this-moment love? Not as interesting for me:)

    Ashley- This one did have some nice action and moved quickly, I just wasn't overly involved with story or characters which was a bit disappointing.

    Alison - I'm still excited for the movie, it looks like it's a beautiful film, and that just might be enough to hold my interest even if everything else falls short:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Is the film based on this book, Jenny, and if so, have you watched it yet and did you like it better? Based off your review, I feel like I'd have a similar reaction to yours if I read this one and so will skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jenny having just seen the movie this weekend can tell you this I no longer wish to read the book! Not because of your review and not because of the movie being better but because now that I have some of your questions and concerns answered by the movie version of the story...

    I can tell you this, the movie itself is pretty cool and I think you will still find it "lacking something" but worth watching none the less...

    I love fairy tales, even ones that are not quite as good in the retelling as the original!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've heard mixed about book and movie, but thanks for your review. I'll keep it in mind =)

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great honest review. I would love to see what you think of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great review Jenny!

    I dont wanna read this though =(

    ReplyDelete
  37. I don't think I've seen any positive reviews for this book. I wonder how much effort was put into it given that it's a movie to book adaptation. Especially with that ending, it seems like the book was more just another marketing tool for the movie instead of a book in its own right. Such a shame. I was really swooning over the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I have this book in my TBR pile. I haven't seen too many positive reviews. I only bought because I love the story concept and the cover. Plus, the movie is produced by Leonardo DiCaprio. I had to buy it -- I'm a dork! LOL Too bad the book is disappointing. Hopefully the movie is good!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I've seen a fair few negative reviews over this one... but I love the cover! And the movie looks like it's going to be pretty good... I may get it out of the library, though.
    Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I haven't seen the film nor read the novel version of Red Riding Hood but it looks like both are getting really mixed to negative reviews... not a very comforting sign. :(

    ReplyDelete