Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Book Boyfriend: Owen Grayson


My Book Boyfriend is a weekly meme hosted by Missie at The Unread Reader, one that gives us the opportunity to introduce our latest literary crushes and match up their descriptions with a few pictures of a gentleman we think fits the bill. This week I've picked Owen Grayson from Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin books, a fabulous urban fantasy series I just cannot get enough of. There are three books out at the moment, and the fourth, Tangled Threads, releases on April 26th.

A brief description of Owen:

He had a thick head of hair that was a glossy blue-black, while his eyes were a light violet. A white, thin scar slashed diagonally across his chin. It offset the crooked tilt of his nose. Those were the only two flaws in his chiseled features, which somehow added even more character to his face, rather than detracting from his good looks.

He cut an impressive figure. Striking, confident, aggressive, forceful. Someone who demanded attention.
(pg 32 of Web of Lies)

So, per usual, I have completely ignored the dark hair description and gone in favor of my sudden attraction to blonds. However, I wanted to pick someone who seemed to capture the feel of Owen, exuding that confidence mentioned above and I think Chris Hemsworth has that striking swagger to him. Hope you enjoy some of my favorite Owen moments!



Owen speaking to Gin:

"...Curiosity is a trait of mine, I'm afraid. But I was much more interested in just holding your hand."

"What are you? Twelve?"


Grayson flashed me another smile. "Sometimes the most sensual pleasures are the simplest ones."


I looked at him a moment. Then I threw back my head and laughed. "Wow. That was lame. Do you try that line out on all the ladies? Or just me?"

Instead of being insulted, Grayson's smile deepened, and his violet eyes glowed with warmth. "Just you, Gin. You're the only one who's ever called me on it."


...

Grayson's thumb traced over the circle embedded in my palm, the center of the spider rune that marked my skin. A little tingle of interest sparked to life in the pit of my stomach. A small sizzle of awareness, of potential, of possibilities.

(pg 55 of Venom)



"No problem Mr. Grayson. Just taking out a bit of trash that got onto the riverboat this evening."

Trash wasn't the worst thing I'd ever been called. Hardly enough to make me roll my eyes. But the word made Owen's gaze simmer like violet fire. For a moment, I felt a blast of cold emanate from his body...Owen's face remained smooth, except for the scar under his chin. It whitened under the strain of his clenched jaw.

"Ms. Blanco is my date for the evening," Owen replied in a mild tone. "She's hardly trash. I suggest you let go of her arm. Most ladies don't like to be manhandled."


"Only in bed," I quipped. "And even then, I still like to be on top."

His mouth quirked at my flip remark, and our eyes met and held. Gray on violet. Desire simmered in Owen's eyes underneath his anger, and I knew he could see the emotion reflected in my gaze. But there was something else, another emotion in his cold face that surprised me–concern. For me.

(pg 208 of Venom)



"I don't judge you for what you've done, Gin. Why are you judging me for another man's mistakes? Because Donovan Caine did make a mistake," Owen said in a soft voice. "Letting someone like you go."

"Someone like me?"


Owen got to his feet and moved until he was standing in front of me. "Someone strong and tough and smart and sassy and sexy as hell. That's why I'm interested, Gin. Because you're all of those things and more..."
(pg 254 of Venom)

And just in case you wanted to see the muscles that accompany that pretty face, this is a screen capture from the upcoming movie Thor. You're welcome:)




TANGLED THREADS (Elemental Assassin #4)
from Goodreads:

I’d rather face a dozen lethal assassins any night than deal with something as tricky, convoluted, and fragile as my feelings.

But here I am. Gin Blanco, the semi-retired assassin known as the Spider. Hovering outside sexy businessman Owen Grayson’s front door like a nervous teenage girl. One thing I like about Owen: he doesn’t shy away from my past—or my present. And right now I have a bull’s-eye on my forehead. Cold-blooded Fire elemental Mab Monroe has hired one of the smartest assassins in the business to trap me. Elektra LaFleur is skilled and efficient, with deadly electrical elemental magic as potent as my own Ice and Stone powers. Which means there’s a fifty-fifty chance one of us won’t survive this battle. I intend to kill LaFleur—or die trying—because Mab wants the assassin to take out my baby sister, Detective Bria Coolidge, too. The only problem is, Bria has no idea I’m her long-lost sibling . . . or that I’m the murderer she’s been chasing through Ashland for weeks. And what Bria doesn’t know just might get us both dead. . . .

35 comments:

  1. Ha! You finally failed to impress me with one of your book boyfriends. I've only read the first book in the series, but I'm firmly in Finn's camp. I couldn't stand Donovan, though, so I'm glad he's out of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris Hemsworth is gorgeous (and an Aussie too).

    Owen sound delicious. Those quotes especially the first one make me want this book. I love the playful banter. ~runs off to order the series~

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES YES YES!!!! I LOVE Owen!!! I even made a Team Owen badge LOL

    http://www.lalasdesigns.com/2011/03/freebies-4-bookish-team-couples-badges.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG.

    That THOR picture is seriously INTENSE.

    Hotness.

    I must meet this Owen fellow.

    I look forward to this meme a *tad* more than I should, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Wow!
    The pictures are making me feel a little dizzy....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, just wow! I have not heard of the series nor have I read them but now I will!! Book Boyfriend indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I stopped reading the first Elemental Assassin book when I was somewhere in the middle. But those are some pretty good quotes up there, maybe I'll pick it up again.

    And I like blondes too. If I liked a guy the first thing my mom would as is if he was blonde. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really must participate in this meme.. oh yeah, and read this series!
    ;)
    Thanks for the eye candy Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruby - Well, if you've only red the first one, you haven't met Owen yet!

    Nic - I adore this series! They're dark with her being an assassin and all, but the characters are amazing.

    Larissa - I'm so TEAM OWEN!

    Nomes - I love this meme, it's fun to see faces *cough and bodies *cough that go with favorite characters:) And isn't that Thor picture pretty?

    Misha - I am to please. Even though all I did was copy and paste his picture:)

    Savy - You should give them a try Savy! They're a nice break from YA:)

    Jennifer - I don't know why I keep gravitating toward blond hair, my husband has dark. Oh well, I guess I like my real men dark and my fictional men blond!

    Juju - Owen is yummy, he has lots of good moments:)

    Avery - You should, it's fun:) And you're welcome;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this meme!
    I haven't read this series but it seems like I should.
    I can't WAIT to see Thor. Chris Hemsworth stole my eyes in The Perfect Getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe it is because there is so much ass in the word Assassin or maybe it is because of those muscles or maybe it is because I love a man who owns up to his feelings, but I find myself forgiving you for overlooking the blue-black hair thing, Jenny.

    *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chic - I love this series, they just keep getting better as they go. And Chris Hemsworth is delicious:)

    Missie - Thank you for your forgiveness, I thought the muscles might turn the tide in my favor:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow- what a plate of Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not read the series, but I'll take pics of Chris Hemsworth any day :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want him now too, I really need to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. I need a cool drink or something right now. Here I am at work trying to be professional and now I'm a puddle of goo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just wanted to say thanks to Jenny for the shout-out today. I appreciate it. ;-)

    I'd say Owen looks like a young Pierce Brosnan, but Chris Helmsworth is mighty fine too. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Thor this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tina - Isn't he? Yum.

    Tara - As would I. I had trouble picking just 3 to use:)

    Jenny - You do! It's fabulous:)

    LinWash - Being professional is overrated. If anyone asks why you're having trouble functioning, show them the pictures and then you'll have another pile of goo to match yours:)

    Jennifer - Thanks so much for commenting! Pierce Brosnan would definitely work as well, and he has dark hair which would fit a little better;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I luuuuurve that second to last one - that is a hot shot of a hot man!! sa-wooooon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. *fans self" oh my!! Must. Read. NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool pick. This is yet another series I need to try and get around to reading ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wrote the name of this series down. : )

    ReplyDelete
  23. Blodeuedd - Thank you, I enjoy him:)

    Linds - Right? I think I started drooling when I saw it.

    Bluicegal - Yes! Go read Owen! Though he doesn't show up until book 2 you'll have to wait a little for him:)

    Midnyte - Yay! Hope you give them a try:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't read the books, but I am quite partial to a bit of Chris Hemsworth! ;)

    I followed his career from early on when he starred in an Aussie soap that I watch. I knew he'd be a success in Hollywood!

    ReplyDelete
  25. CISLibrarian - Thank you:) I haven't been disappointed by this series yet!

    Leanna - I find I'm quite partial as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. YUM YUM YUM! That is ok that you ignore the dark hair thing because I ignore the light hair thing. So all your heroes can be light headed and mine can be dark headed (even if we are talking about the same guy LOL)!

    JE is on my to read list. I was told I would like her series even though I am not a huge fan of UF.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh yes... my precious is on my ereader waiting for me... patiently. Oh yes... I'll be visiting Owen soon. Your Owen looks good. My Owen has always been even darker. Dark eyes... dark hair... mmmmmm *drool*

    ReplyDelete
  28. I haven't heard of this series but Owen sounds dreamy and I love the pictures you've chosen :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Owen sounds cool. Nice and edgy. Even his name sounds romantic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Felicia - HA! My mind went straight into the gutter:) Jennifer Estep is a favorite of mine, Gin and company are awesome.

    Melissa - Go visit Owen! Then we can drool together:)

    Zahida - Thank you, I enjoyed making the post:)

    Alison - I love his name, sometimes I just scan the pages looking for it and then read those scenes first:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have some amazing quotes and Owen sounds very very hot. Will have to experience his heat soon!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I now have a chant in my head... Owen! Owen! Owen! :P Definitely team Owen here. Finn's cool, but in a smart-ass-sometimes-whiny-brother kinda way. Not Owen-hotness cool... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. i'm in the middle of spider's revenge right now and am definitely PRO Owen Grayson! i'm still holding out for Caine to make an appearance and come crawling back to Gin just so Owen can show up and show the Detective all he's missed out on! HA! call me a sucker for a cliche and a love triangle.

    ReplyDelete