Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Teaser Tuesday: The Vespertine


Teaser Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading and here's how it works:

Grab your current read
Open to a random page
Share a snippet from somewhere on that page but be careful not to include spoilers

My teaser this week is from The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell:

"How strange," Miss Brosmer said.
Poisonous curiosity drove me to turn back. "Is it?"

She held it up, rubbing the imprint of my name with her thumb. "The ink looks like blood."

And truth, in the slanting vermilion light, it did.



THE VESPERTINE (from Goodreads)


It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him.

When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause.

32 comments:

  1. Excellent teaser. My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/02/teaser-tuesday-indefensible.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great teaser !! I can't wait to have this book !! The cover looks gorgeous and the blurb promises an awesome story !! Enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That teaser makes me want to read the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover of this book!

    Here is my teaser for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome teaser! The Vespertine seems like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how descriptive that teaser is...just a few words and I'm haunted! I want to know if it really is blood! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting! I've seen this one around and it is starting to grab my interest more and more!

    Here's my teaser

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very fitting quote given the rest of the book. Great pick! How long did it take you to pick this quote?

    Oh, regarding your question about how many volumes most manga have...I think it varies widely. I'm still pretty new to manga, but I'm guessing most hover around 10 or so. The Fruits Basket one has 23, which seems quite high.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished reading this one and love it. Great teaser!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cover to this book :) I can't wait to read it. You can find my teaser at The Bookish Snob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooooo that's gooooood!

    Great teaser!

    Here is my TT

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I might have to try Historical YA--I am not a huge fan of YA but I think I would like it for the Historical part :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed this book - now after reading your teaser I want to reread it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhhhh, that is a goooooood teasy-tease line. I've been wanting to read this one - hope you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love the cover and I must check it out ... great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  16. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/02/teaser-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Vespertine is one of many books that I have gotten from netgalley that I have got to read.
    Sally.

    Here's Mine: http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/02/teaser-tuesday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think I have read any reviews of TV yet so I am really excited to see what you think of it! Great teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so looking forward to reading your review of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know I say this a lot, but I'm still a bit iffy on historical fictions, but this one is very intriguing. Thanks for the tease! Coming from you it is quite delightful. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have been so curious about this one. Can't wait for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh, pretty cover. I hope you are enjoying your book. Here is my Teaser for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh, I've got this one and haven't read it yet, but this totally makes me want to!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm reading this one right now as well and I am loving it! Thanks for sharing!

    Check Out This Week's Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooo! Nice teaser. I can't wait to read this. I love the era.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I read this book, and loved it, as you know!

    ReplyDelete